Thursday, October 1, 2009

Rockwell

So this is Rockwell Perry Myers. He was born September 28 at 6:30 pm. 6.1 lbs and 18 1/2 inches long. Totally perfect and sweet. I'm almost certain he will look much like his father which makes him the second handsomest man on the planet.
He had kinda a rough start coming into the world. Labor and delivery was great it was about 6 hours long and go me I did it all natural. But for some reason Rockwell had to be in the tiny percentage of term babies that don't develop surfactant in their lungs on time. Surfactant is the lubricant that keeps them from sticking together when we exhale. I was lucky enough to hold him for about thirty seconds while they cut the cord etc. then they took him away to wash him and thats when they discovered he wasn't breathing well and he was off to the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit). Which ended up being his home for the first 8 days of his life and the longest most emotionally straining of mine.
This is the CPAP (continuous positive air pressure) thing. When they figured the surfactant thing was the problem this is what he had to wear for a day, they explained that is was like driving down the road with your head out the window it just keeps air flowing into the lungs so they never colapse and in his case stick together.
Finally off the CPAP and just a regular nasal canula that did the same thing just not as intensive as the CPAP and made it wasy easier to hold him and see him.
Just chillin with mom and dad. He loved being held and his stats would be great when we were holding him.
Getting to know daddy, you can see how painfully bad we needed sleep.
Just hanging out and getting precious skin to skin time.
About day 4 his bilirubin was high (but what to you expect being in a dark room 24/7 so he was under the bili-lights for jaundice, it was so funny he looked like he was at the tanning salon with his eye protection and everything.
Just so you get an idea of what I had to stare at for 8 days, I'm amazed I'm still sane. I can't imagine how hard it would be for those who have had their babies in the NICU for weeks.
Finally home and meeting his sisters for the first time.
I'm so grateful that he is here and well. We are all learning how to work together. Eyla can't get enough of him and wants to hold him every chance she can. Raya is still trying to figure him out. It was really hard for them for me to be gone so much for 8 days and even harder for me to have to leave them. We are still trying to make up mommy time now that I am back and work little Rockwell into our daily routine. But it's way easier than I expected it would be.

13 comments:

Kim said...

He is ADORABLE!!! That stinks about NICU, my girls had jaundice and that is hard enough on a mommy especially with all those crazy hormones! I hope life slows down for a bit and you can get back to normal!

Morrise Family said...

He's beautiful! I'm so excited you had a boy! Congratulations. Sorry the arrival was so scary. I'm glad you're all doing well now.

mark and jane said...

He is gorgeous and so precious. I love the pic with his sisters. You're a good mom, and silly me, that makes me so happy!

Millie @ The Busy Butlers said...

Oh, he is absolutely gorgeous! And yes, I can totally see his Daddy in him. As for the handsomest guys in the world, though... My wifey/mommy bias is going to say I have three men over here that definitely rival the good looks your boys are sporting over there! :) Congrats to your little (growing fast!) beautiful family, and I'm so glad he's home. Love you!

Sha-na-na said...

Wow....what an ordeal for every single one of you! But SO worth it, and I can't believe you have 3 gorgeous children...where does the time go?? It was only yesterday that I just had MY 3rd child, right? You are SO blessed and you are a wonderful wife and mother. Best of wishes as you raise this choice little family!!

shaylm said...

hes PERFECT!!! i cant wait to hold him!

Emily said...

I'm so glad he is home. I hope you get your much needed sleep! I can't imagine having a baby in the NICU and two little ones at home. I watched a friend who went through it and my heart goes out to you. I'm glad it is over and you can all be together.

Saduq and Serena said...

I'm so happy he is home! And proud you went all natural. When I have kids, I hope to do it natural too! Hopefully someday I'll get to meet your little cuties!

Emma said...

What a relief to be home with EVERYONE. He is so little! I'm so happy for you.

Rachell said...

Hey sweetie, He's a cutie! It sounds nearly exactly what we went through this summer. Jimmy had all those same things and the lights and all that....and stayed 9 days. So glad you got to bring Rockwell home after 8 days! Yup, it sure was stressful with a little one at home and running back and forth from the hospital (especially the first few days for Wayne and Sean when I was still recovering at American Fork Hospital and Jimmy was sent down to the NICU at Utah Valley). It was so stressful to hold him with all those tubes and wires and monitors attached to him, but sweet just the same because time holding him was so precious and short. But the nurses and everyone at the NICU were so great and supportive, weren't they!? What a sigh of relief to have everyone home together as a family! :-) Keep breathing and keep going. We love you!

the Proas said...

YAY! I love him already ;)
See you soon.

Jayli said...

The girls are getting sooooo big! Eyla is so beautiful and Raya looks just as sassy as her daddy! :) I'm so glad you've got such a handsome little boy and I'm so calling him little Rocky I don't care what anyone says! :P Mostly I'm happy he's healthy and home and you're doing well! I was just telling Perry today that I definately need to make a trip down to St. George soon, I need a break from SLC! Take care Jules!

Sarah Beth said...

hey, it's sarah...mckells old roommate! i stumbled onto your blog off of taylors! congratulations on the new addition to your family! your entire family is beautiful! It's good to see that you guys are doing so great!